All students are required to complete a minimum of 3 credits in Subject in order to graduate.
Click here to view the Open House Saxon Math Video.
Faculty webpages: www.fbamath.net
Check out Mrs. Marsh's Lesson 71: Algebra 2 - Quadratic Formula Video on Youtube
The aim of the Mathematics Department is to teach the student to appreciate Mathematics as a logical, sequential system of thought, applicable to the many aspects of everyday life. Three years of Mathematics are required of every student at Fontbonne Academy. In the fourth year, a student may choose from the elective courses.
Courses are offered in an integrated sequence and at four levels: basic, standard, honors, and advanced placement. All courses meet a minimum of seven times each cycle. Incremental development builds on concepts and brings the student to a higher cognitive level. It also permits long-term practice of concepts.
The Department seeks to achieve the following instructional goals:
- Maintain and extend computational skills
- Use formulas with competence
- Express an appreciation for the validity of the deductive reasoning process and use it in appropriate problem-solving situations
- Think more effectively in the abstract
- Write with ease about math topics and concepts
- Solve problems successfully, including computations, narrative, and non-routine problems
- Use technology to strengthen math concepts
- Use the graphing calculator with proficiency
- Apply learning of mathematics to everyday situations and other disciplines
For a list of course offerings, refer to the Program of Studies 2012-2013 (PDF).